Alberta Identification (ID) Card

WHAT IS an alberta id card?

An Alberta Identification Card is a government-issued photo identification card used by persons who do not hold an Alberta Drivers Licence. If you have an Alberta Drivers Licence, you cannot be issued an Alberta ID Card.

HOW DO YOU GET an Alberta ID Card?

this service must be done in store
Click here to learn what identification you will need


You must have Two pieces of photo identification showing your legal name and date of birth and show that you are legally permitted to be in Canada. Examples of acceptable identification are:

  • Drivers licence
  • Citizenship, Immigration, Naturalization, or Permanent Resident Card
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Passport
  • Municipal, Territorial, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
  • Nexus Card

Support Documents

You must provide support documents that contain two data elements such as name, DOB, signature, address, etc. and at least one of these documents must show that you live in Alberta and have a residence here. Examples of acceptable support documents are:

  • Birth or Marriage Certificate
  • Federal Government Employee Card
  • Chequing or saving account statements
  • Cancelled cheque with imprinted name contain your name and signature
  • Utility, telephone, gas or cable TV bill in applicant’s name
  • Property tax bill or receipt, land title or mortgage documents
  • Income tax receipts
  • Insurance documents (life, mortgage etc.)

Examples of unacceptable support documents are:

  • Interim/temporary driver’s licence
  • Business cards
  • Cheque cashing cards
  • Library card
  • Video club membership cards
  • Insurance liability cards (pink cards)
  • Debit or Credit Cards

Proof of Residency: We will require proof that you live in Alberta. This is something that has been mailed to you such as a bill, property tax statement, rental agreement, or bank statement. This must be in your name.

PLEASE NOTE: All documents presented must be originals or certified copies. Photocopies will NOT be accepted.

Hide this extra information.

If you are between the ages of 12 and 18, you will require one piece of identification and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Residency will be shown through the identification (i.e.: drivers licence, passport) provided by the parent or legal guardian.
You will receive an interim Identification Card and the permanent card will be mailed to you. The interim ID Card is not acceptable as a form of Identification.


Price: $49.00

Your cart is empty.