WHAT IS an alberta drivers licence renewal?
Drivers licences must be renewed in person and only residents of Alberta are able to renew.
A 5 year renewal is $93.00. Sometimes a licence is not renewed for the full 5 year term and the fee is pro-rated to the term that you are issued. This will depend on a few factors:
- Class of Licence
- Medical Conditions
Please Note: Medical conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy or heart conditions require you to have a medical screening from your family doctor prior to getting your drivers licence renewed.
How do you GET an alberta drivers licence renewal?
Once you have presented your identification (see below) you will be required to surrender your old Alberta Licence. A temporary interim licence will be issued to you which is valid for 30 days. Your new drivers licence will arrive in the mail approximately 2 weeks later. The temporary interim licence will NOT suffice for photo identification.
You must have one piece of photo identification showing your legal name and date of birth and show that you are legally permitted to be in Canada. Examples of acceptable identification are:
- Drivers licence
- Citizenship, Immigration, Naturalization, or Permanent Resident Card
- Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
- Municipal, Territorial, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
- Nexus Card
You must provide support documents that contain two data elements such as name, DOB, signature, address, etc. and at least one of these documents must show that you live in Alberta and have a residence here. Examples of acceptable support documents are:
- Birth or Marriage Certificate
- Federal Government Employee Card
- Chequing or saving account statements
- Cancelled cheque with imprinted name contain your name and signature)
- Utility, telephone, gas or cable TV bill in applicant’s name
- Property tax bill or receipt, land title or mortgage documents
- Income tax receipts
- Insurance documents (life, mortgage)
Examples of unacceptable support documents are:
- Interim/temporary driver’s licence
- Business cards
- Cheque cashing cards
- Library card
- Video club membership cards
- Insurance liability cards (pink cards)
- Credit Card or Debit Card
PLEASE NOTE: All documents presented must be originals or certified copies. Photocopies will NOT be accepted.