Who can take an oral drivers knowledge test?
We provide English oral translated knowledge tests to clients who:
- Are unable to speak or comprehend English.
- Have poor reading skills and have difficulty understanding the written test.
- Have a medical condition such as dyslexia.
Types of Translated Knowledge Tests
There are two types of oral translated knowledge tests:
- Full translation in a language other than English.
Only available for licence class 3, 6 or 7 knowledge tests.
Who can be approved as Translators for Knowledge Tests?
A Translator Identification Number (TIN) is required.
- A Registry Agent employee.
- Currently Certified or Accredited Translators from:
- Alberta Court Interpreters Association
- The Alberta Chapter of Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (ACRID)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Society
- The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta www.ATIA.AB.CA
- Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
- The Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Southern Alberta (AVLISA)
- Centralized Interpreter Services (CIS) Edmonton area only
- International Federation of Translators
Individuals that have been granted special exemption by the Registrar of Alberta Transportation – a TIN is still required.
Who is not eligible or what translation credentials are not acceptable?
- Letter from the Immigration Refugee Board or from a local community representative or an employer.
- An owner or employee of a Driver Training School, a Driver Training Instructor or a Driver Examiner.
- A relative or employer of the applicant.
- Persons not otherwise accredited or certified by one of the above listed entities.
- English assisted test.
Available for all licence class knowledge tests
- Richmond Road Registries staff is certified to complete all English assisted tests.
WHAT DO YOU need for an oral drivers knowledge test?
Please see our page on Learners test to see what the requirements are for a knowledge exam.
An appointment will be required for an Oral exam. Please contact us for an appointment.