Driver Knowledge Test (Learners Exam)

WHAT IS a driver knowledge test?

In order to receive a  Learners Licence for any class, you are required to write a driver knowledge test.

How Can you do a driver knowledge test?

this service must be done in store

Testing hours (you don’t need an appointment)
Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm
Saturday 9am to 3pm

You must be at least 14 years of age. Please bring one of the following pieces of identification

  • Canadian passport or birth certificate
  • Immigration document (work permit, record of landing, permanent resident card or Citizenship card
  • If under the age of 18 you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
  • If you are over the age of 18 you must bring Proof of Current Alberta residency such as: Pay-stub, utility bill, banks statement, lease agreement. Along with 2 of above mentioned identification

Click here if English is not your first language.

If English is not your first language, you can do the exam in the following languages:

  • French
  • Arabic
  • Vietnamese
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi
  • Spanish
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Tagalog (Philippines)

English oral translated knowledge tests may be made available to clients who:

  • Are unable to speak or comprehend the English language.
  • Have poor reading skills and have difficulty understanding the written test.
  • Have hearing loss or who are deaf.
  • Have a medical condition such as dyslexia

Who can be approved as Translators for Knowledge Tests? Translator Identification Number (TIN) is required.

  •  A Registry Agent employee.
  •  Currently Certified or Accredited Translators from:
  •  Alberta Court Interpreters Association
  •  The Alberta Chapter of Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (ACRID)
  •  Deaf and Hard of Hearing Society
  •  The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta www.ATIA.AB.CA
  •  Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
  •  The Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Southern Alberta (AVLISA)
  •  Centralized Interpreter Services (CIS) Edmonton area only
  •  International Federation of Translators

Individuals that have been granted special exemption by the Registrar of Alberta Transportation – a TIN is still required.

Who is not eligible or what translation credentials are not acceptable?
  • Letter from the Immigration Refugee Board or from a local community representative or an employer.
  • An owner or employee of a Driver Training School, a Driver Training Instructor or a Driver Examiner.
  • A relative or employer of the applicant.
  • Persons not otherwise accredited or certified by one of the above listed entities.

Hide this extra information.

Download your drivers handbook

PDFs of the basic Alberta Drivers handbooks can be found here:

Price: $17.00

Your cart is empty.