WHAT IS A TRADE NAME REGISTRATION?
A Trade Name, often referred to as a ‘sole proprietorship’, is registered under the Partnership Act to a person or legal entity who is carrying on business and not associated in partnership with anyone else.
Need more information on registering trade names? Click here.
HOW DO TRADE NAMES DIFFER FROM INCORPORATED NAMES?
- An incorporated name must include a legal element while a Trade Name or Partnership cannot.
- An Alberta corporation name is only granted once.
- The Trade Name or partnership is not a distinct legal entity; therefore the proprietor(s) or partners are solely responsible for the debts and liabilities of the business.
- There is no requirement under the Partnerships Act for a Trade/Partnership name to be unique. Duplicate names may exist.
- The registration of a business name does not have any restrictions, or any right of ownership of that name.
- The registration of the name is proof that it is in use by a particular business and provides consumers with the identity of the owners of the business registered in Alberta.
- A Trade Name may have only one owner.
How do you get A TRADE NAME REGISTRATION?
*This form requires Adobe Reader (download it here if needed).
Please download the form and fill it out.
A Trade Name can have only one owner. The person who will own the company MUST provide the following documents:
- valid drivers licence
- the completed form which can be downloaded below
For online service: If you are doing the service online, please email or fax (403.246.0647) us the above documentation, along with an online payment receipt number (emailed to you once you complete payment). Once we receive the above information, we will email or mail the registration to you.